Signal’s Andy and Louise say they’re leaving

Signal 1 breakfast presenters Andy Cook and Louise Stones announced on air this morning that they’ve been told by management they’re finishing on the show.

Louise has been on the Stoke-on-Trent based station’s breakfast show for the last 16 years, and was joined by Andy three years ago. The pair say they’ll be finishing on Friday 24th February.

In an emotional link, Louise said: “We’ve simply been told that it’s time for change. And we were told that on Friday. We wanted you just to know. I have enjoyed every second and I thank you immensely for keeping me in this seat because we’re just not going to be knocking around between 6 and 10 any more.

“We’ve been told it’s time for change. I love this show – I said from the start I would never choose to leave it I would have to be kicked out of the seat. We finish a week on Friday and we’re going to have the best fun ever like we always have.”

Louise was almost in tears as she delivered the news and the duo took calls from listeners who rang in to express their disgust and anger at the change.

Speaking to one of the listeners who was crying down the phone asking why it was happening, Louise said: “No reason. They called us in on Friday and said it’s nothing more than they want a change. That’s all they’ve said. We don’t understand, we don’t want to go.”

There have also been a number of tweets to the station from listeners upset at the news, but it’s not clear whether Andy and Louise are leaving the station altogether or just the breakfast show.

A spokesperson for Signal 1 said: “After sixteen years we felt the time was right to make some changes and refresh the Breakfast Show programme. We are super excited about the new line up and look forward to announcing it to our listeners very soon – tune in for more information.”

Listen to the audio from this morning here:

Posted on Monday, February 13th, 2017 at 12:09 pm by RadioToday

You might also like

1. Alan Walker on Facebook says

Seems a fee changes on the Wireless group/Newscorp group…with The Wave ( Swansea) having a ‘new’ breakfast show and mid morning show this week.

2. Rob Rymond on Facebook says

Doubt it is a stunt from the emoticon, though unusual to let people rant on air about it. Change is needed anyway. Get Foxy on Breakfast with a local sidekick.

3. Tim Stone on Facebook says

I want to think this is legit but very surprised if true that the station would let the breakfast put those calls to air. Refreshing if it’s true!

4. Emyr Evans on Facebook says

Sounds right, they seem to freshening up, the Wave has just had a brand new male presenter at breakfast after 18 years, a former presenter but I think the change was needed for everyone, with Swansea sound daytime getting a change too

5. Emyr Evans on Facebook says

6. Lee Bee on Facebook says

Could they switch with another time slot on Signal 1 or even pitch up on Signal 2?

7. Cameron Boyer on Facebook says

Personally I feel that if this was a stunt, I’d be a bit annoyed. Also “Misleading listeners” etc etc. I’d say this is genuine.

8. John Hastings on Facebook says

Up here in Cumbria, we have the LEGEND that is Robbie Dee, who’s been on CFM’s breakfast show for just over 14 years and still fantastic as ever.

9. Paul Bexfield on Facebook says

If it’s true I’m surprised Granted there’s not much choice on DAB in Stoke but Signal one posted very good rajars
    I was going to say If it ain’t broke don’t fix it but when has that ever stopped Global and Bauer ?

10. Debra Cooper on Facebook says

It’s very sad, I think they make a great team…I hope it isn’t a bad move for signal, may lose some listeners.

11. Dan Dean says

My local bank closed this week….the girls who work there are moving on with their lives…i would suggest that you do too and stop acting like a diva

12. Craig Strong says

Typical.

Do a good job and get the push.

Been there.

13. Lewis says

will they be moving to Signal 2…now it’s known that Johnny Owen is ending his 14 year stint at Breakfast.

14. Tim says

These presenters should learn how to do it from Danny Baker.

15. Disappointed says

How sad,wondered what happened to them as the 2 replacements are not as bubbly and entertaining,had to google to find our they shall not be returning;sounds like a disaster who ever made that decision,the pair were good and entertaining,certainly used to enjoyed listening to them and disappointed