Gem 106 breakfast presenters are staying on-air for 10 hours to celebrate 10 years of hosting the breakfast show in the Great East Midlands.
The duo started at 8am today and will end at 6pm, when they’ll give away a family holiday to Orlando, staying at Disney World, live on the Orion Media station.
When asked how he stays motivated, Sam Pinkham said “We’re friends first and colleagues second. As a team we’ve never been short of ideas, so it’s not difficult to get motivated and put on a show five days a week. Plus Amy has always fancied me, so it keeps her coming back for more”.
“The truth is, getting up at 4.30 is miserable. But to get to have fun and be creative with my friends is a pretty great job. And if I’m flagging, Sam’s outfits always give me a laugh” replied Amy Voce.
Sam and Amy have also covered at BBC Radio 2 with full blessing of their current bosses in July 2014, covering for Richard Allinson’s weekend shows.
We’ve got some of their best bits in a list below to celebrate their decade on the air together:
● The time when the team travelled 800 miles in 150mph winds and wrecked a £90,000 range Rover, just for one day’s skiing.
● The time when Leicester girl Amy went on a rant when Hull beat her hometown to become City of Culture
● When they formed their own rock band the Shambolic Death Squirrels to celebrate the local Download Festival.
● When Sam did pressups with David Hasselhoff.
● When Amy sang Take That songs with James Corden, spent Valentine’s Day with Olly Murs and received several unsolicited texts from a member of New Kids On The Block.
● The time they traveled from Nottingham to Leicester via rivers and canals in dinghies.
● They’re animal lovers. They’ve shared a studio with a skunk, meerkat, lizard, fox, and a raccoon.. At the same time.
● When the roadworks on the A46 meant Amy had problems getting from her home in Leicester to the studio in Nottingham, they just did the show from Amy’s house.
● As Sam’s wife was preparing to give birth to their second daughter, Amy found a machine to ‘help’ Sam experience labour pains for himself.
● The time when Sam and Amy completely exchanged lives for a week. Amy lived with Sam’s family. Looking after his children. Sam moved into Amy’s house and enjoyed a lunch at her mum’s house.
And there could be more recognition on its way too as they are nominated for Innovation of the Year at this year’s Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards, for their partnership with Notts TV that sees the show broadcast live on TV each morning.
David Lloyd, Orion’s Group Content and Operations Director added: “Few UK breakfast shows remain on air more than 10 years it’s a real tribute to their talents and hard work that Sam & Amy remain on top form and hugely popular with listeners.”