Radio 4’s Eddie Mair to leave BBC next month

Radio 4 PM presenter Eddie Mair has announced he’s leaving the BBC this summer after more than 30 years with the corporation.

His last show will be on Friday 17th August – there’s been no confirmation of where he’s going nor who will replace him on Radio 4’s daily teatime news programme.

Eddie says: “It’s 31 years since I joined the BBC, 25 years since I first presented PM, and 20 since it became my main gig. I thought this was the appropriate moment to step out and give someone else a chance, before I’m so old my sentences make no lasagne.

“I’m going to miss the PM team, and Tony Hall’s after shave. I realise the BBC will close down without me and there will be a run on the pound but I can’t stay in an organisation that refused to let me host Songs of Praise. I bought a jacket and everything.

“I’m truly grateful to the BBC, however for being given more opportunities over the years than I deserved. My apologies to PM listeners for all the things I’ve said that I shouldn’t have, and all the things I should have said that I didn’t. Whoever comes next will be getting the best job in the BBC and I honestly wish them the very best.”

Fran Unsworth, Director of BBC News, says: “Eddie has had a fantastic career at the BBC. Over the many years he has been here, he has been hugely popular with the public. Eddie has delivered outstanding journalism and created a real bond with the audience through his mixture of warmth, incisive questioning and knowing when to listen in order to get the very best out of his guests. He is one of the outstanding broadcasters of his generation and his new employer is very lucky to have him. Eddie leaves with our thanks and everyone at the BBC wishes him well for the future.”

Gwyneth Williams, Controller of R4, says: “Eddie is a consummate broadcaster. You want to be in his hands when news breaks and I remember too, with respect, but also personal sadness, his conversations with Steve Hewlett during Steve’s illness. I would like to thank him for his commitment over so many years to PM, Radio 4 and our audience.”

Eddie joined PM in 1998 and became its sole presenter in 2003. He previously worked at 5 live doing the Midday programme in the 90s. Before that he’d hosted Reporting Scotland and Good Morning Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland, having joined the corporation in 1987 from Radio Tay.

Don't forget, we can send you radio news via email direct to your inbox every weekday at 11am. Just use the form below to register.

Posted on Sunday, July 1st, 2018 at 12:43 pm by UK - Reporter

1. Rob Mason says

Eddie Mair’s interview with the BNP’s Nick Griffin when he asked, , ‘Are you drunk now Mr. Griffin?’ as Griffin bumbled his usual rubbish was one of the finest put-downs I’ve heard on radio. Eddie’s finest moment but one of many. An outstanding broadcaster and one of the reasons the licence fee is a bargain.

2. Mike says

Will be missed by me and the rest of the planet

3. Angela says

So sorry to hear you’re going, you’re thebest of the Beeb whether it’s a serious or light – hearted story, always excellent.

4. Nigel Draper says

What will I listen to now..?
    Thankyou Eddie for 20 years of laughs and tears… you could skewer a dodgy politician like nobody else and also share a tenderness and humanity that I will sorely miss… you’re a remarkable broadcaster and I hope you’re going to do something even better???

5. Antonette says

Really sorry to hear that Eddie is leaving the BBC. Best wishes for the future.

6. Caroline McKay says

I really hope the BBC have done everything they could to try to keep Eddie Mair. No-one else has his combination of wit, warmth and a rare ability to deal with real subjects such as grief, loss and serious illness. My heart used to sink when he was on holiday for a week, so I am already dreading his departure and hoping his new job is something which will allow me and his many other appreciators to continue to enjoy his excellent broadcasting. We will sorely miss you Eddie.

7. Paul Givens says

So underrated and perhaps undervalued by the BBC. Able and unafraid to ask the questions of people that needed to asked. Always came into his own pre and post election time when asking the necessary questions of our pompous and evasive politicians. Good luck Eddie…. please don’t go to Sky!

8. Marco says

Welcome to LBC Eddie !

9. M. Wilkinson says

Never since the death of Brian Redhead have I felt so bereft at losing a fine broadcaster. Eddie’s ‘chats’ with people were far more effective in illiciting their story than the ‘interrogations’ some interviewers adopt. The comparison between Eddie’s non-judgemental interview with Sharon Shoesmith, a Social Services head, and the hostile approach of John Humphries some years earlier is an example of this.
    Good luck, Eddie, you will be greatly missed.

10. Tony Woolman says

Following close on Terry Wigan, you are my best (living) source of realistic opinion. I will miss your wit. TW.

11. Allan Wallace says

LBC goes from strength to strength.

12. ANGELO TOMASSO says

THANKS FOR ALL THOSE MAGIC YEARS ON PM EDDIE.YOU WERE BRILLIANT PRESENTER WITH WIT THROWN IN ON TOP.YOUR “SMALL STEP FOR MAN BUT I GIANT STEP FOR MANKIND”ALWAYS MADE ME SMILE.I HOPE WE HEAR IT AGAIN BEFORE YOU LEAVE.I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED.BIG SHOES TO FILL.

13. Frederick says