Asda FM Live rebranded as Asda Radio under new contract

ASDA has changed the supplier of its in-store radio stations from KVH Studios to Mood Media.

The station has, as a result, rebranded to Asda Radio and hired new on-air staff including Virgin Radio’s Amy Voce and Magic’s Nick Snaith.

There will also be an overnight slot hosted by Capital Liverpool’s Drivetime Show presenter Graeme Smith, aimed at keeping colleagues entertained throughout the night. Mood Media says colleague engagement and input will play a key part in the new station, with Friday takeovers by a different branch each week, including requests, shout-outs and ‘rollback’ hours.

“We are so excited to be working with one of the UK’s biggest and most innovative supermarket brands, across so many locations and reaching huge numbers of consumers,” said Paul Hillyer, Head of Creative UK at Mood Media.

“Getting so many stores ready for launch since the start of January was initially a daunting task, but one that the team relished. Hopefully Asda customers and colleagues are already noticing the difference and are enjoying the in-store experience more.”

The radio station, which launched in February, can be heard across more than 600 stores nationwide and plays two pre-recorded shows daily, from 10:00–14:00 and 15:00–18:00. The morning show is presented by Nick Snaith, with Amy Voce taking over for the later slot.

“As someone who has spent years working on breakfast shows in commercial radio, it’s going to be a delight hosting a show at a sensible hour, and even better, when it’s for one of my favourite UK brands and friendliest supermarkets,” says Amy Voce, host of the afternoon slot. “I’m loving the variety of songs we’re playing and hearing from the staff and customers, so hope they love it too.”

“We’ve completely reinvigorated Asda Radio with Mood. It’s a modern, relevant national radio station that delivers content that not only excites and inspires our colleagues, it also creates better engagement with our customers,” said Andy Murray, Chief Customer Officer at Asda.

“The clever use of targeted playlists, colleague shout outs and inspiration and meal ideas coming from well-known DJs mean we have really enhanced the in-store experience.”

ASDA FM launched in September 1991.

1. sj says

So the whole thing’s networked 24/7? None of the stores have any local programming at all? Disgusting. I’m not shopping there anymore.

1. Almorr says

Well Sj, you could go to Tesco, I don’t think that they have a radio station, they just play “canned” music.

2. Ron Dobbyn says

Get your requests in now ” Bread, and Butter” ( The New Beats) ” Bananas” ( Harry Chapin) ” Cherry Pie”( Jess Conrad), and ” Shop Around “( The Miracles) The Legendary Late DJ Dave Cash would have been perfect for the station. Can’t wait for traffic reports ” Jam in Aisle 7, ” , Radio London,s Billy Reeves would be a great person for that job.

3. John Warburton says

Let’s hear it for United Biscuits Network 🙂 (q.v.)

4. Andy says

Thankfully, t’internet exists so I don’t have to go into these awful places.

1. Mr Boltar says

Internet food shopping is fine if you want overripe fruit and rotten veg picked by some spotty doesnt gjve a toss 18 year old in the depot. Add in some broken eggs, missing items, milk with 1 day left to go and the miserable experience is complete.

1. Andy says

I don’t buy fruit, veg or milk at a supermarket – I’m not mad! They don’t have a decent piece of fruit and the supermarket. The varieties are all tastless mass market fodder. And milk tastes better from a glass bottle.

5. Dan Dean says

Who gives a toss anyway….it is simply background for shoppers and workers and truth is nobody listens too…..”enhance the shopping experience!”….get a life.

6. Ron Dobbyn says

Didn’t IKEA have a radio station once?. I remember hearing Abba while I was eating my meatball,s.

1. Sheila J says

Ron, the end of your comment has just started a giggling fit “I remember hearing Abba while I was eating my meatball’s.”

7. Mr Boltar says

I shop at Asda only because the next nearest supermarket is 2 miles away, and the best way to “enhance” the shopping experience would be to switch this naff rubbish off. If I want music when I shop I’ll take headphones and listen to something decent.

8. Ron Dobbyn says

Shelia. When individual toilet s were introduced in our town many years ago ( 15 mins for 5p) they had music playing all the time, but no disc jockeys. On my first visit ,the music was ” Olivia Newton John singing ” Your the one that I want”. Ps. West Croydon Bus station play Classical Music, .

9. DJS says

Reminds me of the time I had to use the facilities in Doncaster’s Frenchgate Centre. The music being piped into the Gents happened to be Every Breath You Take by The Police. Very unnerving!

10. Michael V says

The slight rebrand makes sense. The ‘FM’ part never made sense. Asda Radio is the better name.

11. Ron says

Listened to the new sound today in sunny Folkestone. The male jock doesn’t cut through the hubbub, and the older (’80s & 90’s) songs – all with great hooks – seem a bit dated for the slob teenage mums with 3 out of control brats, who inhabit our local Asda.