The summer of ’96 is being celebrated on BBC Radio 2 this June, July and August with lots of special shows and documentaries.
The programmes look back at the music, the movies, the sport and the news stories, alongside the memories of those who were there, in stadiums, in cinemas, and watching and listening at home.
- Richard E Grant presenting Spice Up Your Life! about Spice Girls’ launch into the music world
- My Life In A Mixtape with Mel C
- Gabby Logan presents Euro 96 – When Football Came Home, reliving that memorable tournament and the news and music around it
- Beatles: Reborn In ’96 about their resurgence to a whole new audience, following the release of their Anthology series and much more
- There’s a celebration of jazz great Louis Armstrong to mark the anniversaries of both his birth and death
- Romesh Ranganathan: For The Love Of Hip Hop is a new series about hip hop, presented by Romesh giving a beginner’s guide to the music
- Legacy Of A Lioness: Amy Winehouse marks 10 years since Amy’s death
- Scott Mills celebrates 35 years of his favourite soap, Neighbours
Helen Thomas, Head of Radio 2, says: “Whether it’s enjoying the timeless appeal of artists such as The Beatles, Louis Armstrong or Amy Winehouse, being given an introduction to hip hop by Romesh Ranganathan or reliving the joy and pain of Euro 96, there’s something for everyone on Radio 2 this summer.”
Programmes are being made by lots of indies including Somethin’ Else, Trevor Dann, 7digital, Spiritland Productions, Listen, Mostest Productions and BBC Audio.
See all the details of the new shows on OnTheRadio.co.uk.