Radio X listeners vote for the best British song
Oasis’ Wonderwall is the ultimate British song according to Radio X listeners, in the station’s inaugural Best of British poll.
Just six months on from the brand new station’s launch in September 2015, Radio X listeners cast more than 50,000 votes. The top four tracks are all by Oasis, with The Stone Roses, Arctic Monkeys and The Verve making up the majority of the top 10.
David Bowie’s Heroes and Life on Mars? came seventh and eighth. The Rolling Stones rounded off the top 10 with the 1969 hit ‘Gimme Shelter’.
Noel Gallagher said: “”What can I say? The people have spoken. The fact that there wasn’t one single NGHFB song in the top 20 makes me think the whole thing is a mockery of an unreliable sham! Saying that though, I’m thrilled. Thanks for voting. ONWARDS.”
Chris Baughen, managing editor of Radio X, said: “Just six months on from the launch of Radio X, we asked our listeners to vote for their favourite records in the first ever Best of British poll, and they have spoken in their thousands. In fact we received more than 50,000 votes in just over two weeks showing how much our listeners love British music.”
Radio X counted down the results throughout the day on Easter Monday with Vernon Kay revealing the top 10 this evening (Monday 28th March).
The Radio X Best of British 2016 top 20:
1. Oasis – Wonderwall
2. Oasis – Don’t Look Back In Anger
3. Oasis – Champagne Supernova
4. Oasis – Live Forever
5. The Stone Roses – I Am The Resurrection
6. Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
7. David Bowie – Heroes
8. David Bowie – Life On Mars?
9. The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
10. The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter
11. Elbow – One Day Like This
12. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
13. The Beatles – Hey Jude
14. Pulp – Common People
15. The Smiths – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
16. Oasis – Slide Away
17. The Stone Roses – Fool’s Gold
18. The Smiths – How Soon Is Now
19. The Beatles – A Day In The Life
20. Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart