Ten highlights of summer sport on 5 live
BBC Radio 5 live is getting ready for a summer of live sport, coverage of major events, and new programmes.
The news and sport station will bring listeners exclusive coverage of the European football championships, the Rio Olympics and the Paralympics. It will also offer analysis of the EU referendum campaign plus live reaction to the result and its repercussions.
Meanwhile, two new programmes presented by 5 live journalist Anna Foster will look at issues around family and fertility. Rob Rinder will be back with his series Raising The Bar, which lifts the lid on the legal world, and BBC Arts Editor Will Gompertz’s Heat Map returns to explore the arts across the UK, including music, film, fashion and books.
Jonathan Wall, Controller of 5 live, says: “This is going to be a spectacular summer for 5 live. From the beaches of Rio, to the referendum counts across the UK, we’ll be at the heart of the action, bringing listeners the very latest.”
The top 10 highlights of 5 live’s spectacular summer are:
1. Rio Olympics – 17 days of exclusive coverage of the key moments on BBC Radio 5 live and 5 live sports extra. The station brings Olympic medallist Jonathan Edwards to the presentation team, and the top line-up of experts includes Olympians Victoria Pendleton, Darren Campbell, Karen Pickering and Mark Hunter.
2. Paralympics – More than 80 hours of live and exclusive coverage from the 2016 Paralympics with a commentary team led by Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson. ParalympicsGB’s medal hopes are high after a stunning Games at London 2012, and 5 live will bring you all the glory of every golden moment.
3. Euro 2016 – 5 live brings listeners 23 days of live European Championship football. German goalkeeping legend Jens Lehmann joins the 5 live team, with Chris Waddle, Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Savage, Neil Lennon, John Hartson and Gerry Taggart also in France for the station.
4. EU Referendum – Insight and explanation of the campaign from every corner of the UK to help listeners make up their minds. Live results night programme and next day reaction with what it means for you.
5. 5 Life – From the struggle to conceive a child to the pains of pregnancy and the miracle of birth, 5 live’s Anna Foster looks at life and loss, families and fertility, reflecting on her own experiences as a mum of two young children in this fascinating new series.
6. Wake Up To Money – Sports Edition Business presenter Adam Parsons launches a new edition of 5 live’s popular finance programme, focusing on the business of sport.
7. Chilcot Report – Return to Iraq – As the inquiry into the UK’s involvement in Iraq reports its findings after seven years, 5 live returns to the country to examine the long-term impact of the conflict, and catch up with some of the people we met shortly after the war.
8. Wimbledon – All the action from SW19, led by 5 live Sport’s award-winning sports presenter Eleanor Oldroyd and Drive presenter Tony Livesey. Plus phone-in show 6-Love-6 is back, giving listeners the chance to put their points to John McEnroe. Seriously.
9. Summer of golf – Live coverage of four huge tournaments: US Open, Open Championship, US PGA and the Ryder Cup. Presenter John Inverdale and BBC golf correspondent Iain Carter.
10. Premier League 16/17 – The new Premier League season on 5 live will bring more live commentaries than any other radio station – up next season from 128 to 144 matches. The home of football will bring the rivalry of new manager Jose Mourinho at Manchester United facing Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, plus all the anticipation around last season’s champions, Leicester City.