Paul Gambaccini will tell the story of Kenny Everett’s friendship with The Beatles, as part of the BBC’s Christmas radio highlights.
In the show, Gambo will find out how Kenny inspired lyrics to one of the group’s most memorable hits, and have an interview with the late Dave Cash.
Paul says: “Kenny Everett was the greatest radio presenter of my lifetime. The Beatles were the greatest group. I hope that when we put them together the result is at least good!
“I have done several programmes about my old friend Kenny Everett before, but never one taking this angle. This is fascinating. I love to learn, and I have learned about one of my friends and heroes from working on this show.”
That show airs on December 21st at 10pm on BBC Radio 2, produced by Wise Buddah.
Other highlights across BBC Radio include Carey Mulligan, Helen Morrissey and Dame Sally Davies guest editing Radio 4’s Today Programme and Just A Minute does Panto whilst Gardeners’ Question Time heads to Number 10 Downing Street on Radio 4.
Director of Radio Bob Shennan says: “During this festive period BBC Radio will remain a crucial and continuous soundtrack to the lives of our listeners. From Radio 1 to Radio 5 live and our digital stations, our teams have created Christmas schedules which will surprise, move and entertain them, with content expertly curated and carefully tailored to their tastes.”
Here are some other picks:
- Three weeks of Christmas mixes from party tunes to festive songs on Radio 1
- Olly Murs special appearance in Radio 1’s Live Lounge to get young audiences in the festive spirit
- Radio 1Xtra’s Hot For 2017 list and BBC Music Sound Of 2017 to predict acts geared for success next year
- Nadiya Hussain invites listeners for a festive family feast on Radio 2
- The nation’s favourite choirmaster, Gareth Malone, presents his favourite choral music on Radio 2 and also appears as a festive castaway on Radio 4
- Shaun Keaveny will co-host his BBC Radio 6 Music Breakfast show on Boxing Day with two superlative Brian’s – Eno and Cox, two of the most intelligent and most respected minds in UK whom 6 Music brings together to celebrate music, science, discovery and inquisitive minds.
- Natasha Khan, aka Bat For Lashes, Laura Marling and Annie Nightingale confirmed as BBC Radio 6 Music’s Wise Women this Christmas
- Sir David Attenborough reveals a side to himself that few know, he tells Radio 3 stories behind music he recorded from his travels around the world
- Archbishop John Sentamu and Royal Ballet Principal Edward Watson reveal their Private Passions on Radio 3
- A rare production of Shostakovich’s early surreal opera, The Nose, starring Martin Winkler and John Tomlinson both from the Royal Opera House
- In a first for Composer of the Week in it’s over seventy years history, Donald Macleod luxuriates in the theatrical and charismatic world of Ivor Novell featuring special new recordings of works not heard for 100 years
- A special binaural recording of The Shepherd an innovative adaptation of Frederick Forsyth’s haunting classic Christmas tale, read by Luke Thompson for Between the Ears
- BBC Symphony Orchestra joins comedian David Sedaris as he reads his original tales about Christmas in this performance mixing wit, words and music
- BBC National Chorus of Wales and the orchestra of Welsh National Opera come together for the first time to perform Handel’s Messiah
- BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra joins BBC Radio Scotland’s Jamie MacDougall as they present some of the most famous festive tunes written for the silver screen
- Glenda Jackson is King Lear on Radio 4 this Boxing Day
- Bruce Springsteen confirmed as one of Radio 4’s festive castaways
- Tori Amos and Neil Gaiman cameos revealed in spellbinding tale Stardust on Radio 4
- Special festive short stories by best-selling author Alexander McCall Smith broadcast on Radio 4 in the lead up to Christmas
- Carey Mulligan, Helen Morrissey and Dame Sally Davies to guest edit Radio 4’s Today
- Ed Reardon with his feline friend Elgar consider the role of cats in the radio archives in The Meow Show on Radio 4 Extra
- Comedian Russell Howard makes his 5 live debut with a show of fun and laughter in the company of friends and family
Number 1 – the Andy Murray Story on 5 live looks back at Murray’s extraordinary year
- On 5 live, John Pienaar shares his razor sharp political observations of a tumultuous year in politics and gazes into the crystal ball to predict what 2017 may bring
- Asian Networks brings The Official Asian Music Chart Of The Year to listeners with Suzi Mann