Absolute Radio threatens AM service shutdown

Absolute Radio is wanting to reduce its medium wave coverage across the UK from 90% to 85%.

The Bauer station says that continuing to provide 90% population coverage is no longer ‘reasonably practicable’ and if permission is not granted for the reduction, it would result in Absolute Radio having to close down the entire AM Network.

Absolute Radio proposes two steps – the first to reduce the power at 5 major AM sites by 3dB, and step two, to close 12 small AM sites, and thereafter to operate a 20 site network.

In a document to Ofcom to support its request, Absolute Radio points out the BBC is closing 13 of its 50 local AM transmitters carrying BBC local radio, and that the radio scene has changed dramatically since the national AM music licence was awarded to (Virgin) them 25 years ago. Some of the equipment in use at transmitter sites is also 25 years old and to maintain the network could be commercially unviable.

Ofcom is consulting on the proposal and the closing date is 2nd March 2018.

Posted on Friday, February 9th, 2018 at 11:54 am by UK - Reporter

You might also like
  1. David says

No one I know now listens to Absolute Radio on AM now. They all use higher quality VHF FM, online, Freeview ,DAB and mobile apps. Absolute Radio seems very popular, but not on the noisy low fidelity AM platform. I think AM continuation for Absolute is money down the drain -even economic suicide, for just a very few remaining AM listeners. RTE (Ireland) has decided to close AM to save money for investment into modern platforms, and Absolute Radio would be wise do the same. David

1. melvyn dalley says

Well i do ,most of the time ! do sometime listen on sky but not much good in the garden. My grundig sounds much better on am the on Many DAB radios , A friend who has a shop is still selling more analogue radio than Digital.
      Regards melvyn

2. Dave says

Ofcom will rubber stamp it.

3. Paul says

Fine. Switch off AM, but replace that with national coverage on FM please. Love listening to Absolute and the other offshoot stations. Listen at home and work online to classic rock but here in Northamptonshire it is AM on the drive to work and back in my 13 year old Focus.

1. Owen says

Yes, DAB has its flaws especially at lower bit rates, but you can’t honestly say an AM broadcast sounds better?

4. BinkyDawkins says

Those who don’t listen on AM won’t know this but over the past year or so, Absolute have been playing these annoying ads where a woman with a really hate-filled voice basically says “We know you’re a sad git still stuck in the 20th century, listening on medium wave” What are you playing at, you to**er?” “Hurry up and switch over to DAB and get a life, you ar**ho**!”

Of course these aren’t the exact words they use but it’s the general gist of what they mean and I’m sure it’s what they would say if they could!

Given that the only show on Absolute I go out of my way to listen to is The Frank Skinner Show and that I listen to it via the podcast, it wouldn’t bother me much if they shut down the AM signal.

5. Willie Bone says

247 metres/1214 kHz was always prone to co-channel interference from mainland Europe & home interference mush areas, caused by competing signals in areas between transmitters on an analogue based single frequency network!
    However, I am “Absolutely Gobsmacked” that 1215 kHz has been in use for commercial radio for 25 years! WOW! That is a fair tribute to the AM platform in its autumn years.
    The proposed reduction of AM coverage for Absolute Radio is no doubt a prelude to further reduction in the near future, with total closure of its AM output in the not-too-distant-future!

6. David says

The total MW AM shut down will happen, and I think it will not be too long. I doubt if anyone would actually notice or be the slightest bothered. With that in mind, to keep MW AM running is just a pure waste of cash. I’m certain all the broadcasters would all want to rush and close AM now, but they have to be very careful not to infringe their agreed previous licence clauses, as that would go against them when applying for new DAB and other digital platform licences etc., David

7. David says

Neither Virgin or Absolute Radio arranged for AM transmission via the Burghead transmitter in Moray, so no loss.

Talk Sport have still not arranged transmission from Burghead.

8. David says

As all the main broadcasters would love to instantly abandon ‘obsolete’ and costly MW’s if only the regulators would only allow that. No one I know listens on MW’s now. I’m sure the broadcasters also deliberately make the MW transmitters sound ‘rough’ to encourage listeners to go to their other platforms. It’s about time ‘hobby music radio’ was encouraged in the UK, as now in many other countries. This would take away the need to do ‘pirate’ free radio. As the ‘hobby’ stations locations would be known (as with Amateur Radio), any (rare) interference issues could be promptly dealt with, instead of wasting weeks to find the offending pirate transmitter. That would be in everyone’s best interest, David

9. peter stanley says

You can’t get Absolute radio on FM where I live in the North West, my car was only made in 2012 but it doesn’t have a DAB radio. If I want to listen when out in it I have no choice it’s 1215 am. Yes you can buy DAB adapters but which one is best, there are lots out there and do they work? I read you have to have a new aerial.

10. James Martin says

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to starting phasing out AM. I’m surprised they’re keeping the West Midlands AM TX on in those proposals, surely that and the TX serving London might as well be closed?

The truth is, the audience on AM is declining and its a very expensive medium to transmit on, probably not as much as DAB but it’s certainly more expensive than FM.

11. Chris says

FM 105.2 in the West Midlands has a much smaller footprint than 1215AM, not everyone has DAB, especially in our cars, or even an internet connection.
    Leave AM alone!