Martin and Su from Heart Essex join Radio Essex

Radio Essex has just announced former Heart Essex Breakfast presenters Martin Day & Su Harrison are joining the station for Breakfast.

The pair left the local Heart station earlier this year when the breakfast show went networked with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden.

Martin and Su will replace Chris and Abbie who move to Drive, replacing Paul Lovett who moves to weekends and cover.

Chris and Abbie made the announcement just after the 8am news on Monday morning, followed by the song (Take Another Little) Piece of my Heart by Beverley Knight.

Programme Director and current Breakfast show presenter Chris Brooks told RadioToday: “It’s taken a while to complete but now we’re here. I am absolutely delighted to bring these guys back to their rightful home of morning radio in Essex.

“Myself and Abbie who I currently present The Breakfast Club with are more than happy to move to The Drive Show to make way for these legends! I also want to thank Paul Lovett currently on Drive, for all the hard work he has done for the station over the last 10 years and I am happy that he is staying on with us on our new weekend schedule and helping us with cover as we move forward.

“This is a huge opportunity for us to cement our position as Essex’s number one music station and I can’t wait to hear them back on air in Essex in 2020.”

Su Harrison said: “Well what a year it has been for Martin and I, as most of you will know throughout the summer we have not been on the radio and it has all felt very strange, we have loved broadcasting across the county for the last 18 years together, so it has been an interesting summer not seeing each other each morning, but that is about to change and we couldn’t be happier.

“Yes we will be back on air on the 6th January 2020 doing breakfast on Radio Essex. So wherever you have been for the last seven months please come back to us and we promise to bring the same silly sense of humor back to Essex and wake you up in the Mornings just like we use to, only with not as much P!nk.

Martin Day adds “Support from the people of Essex was unprecedented and a total shock. I had no idea people really liked the show and wish they’d told us when we were on air … looking forward to being a part of people’s morning routine and for having a reason for getting out of bed!”

Martin and Su start on The Breakfast Club at Radio Essex on Monday 6th Jan 2020.

1. Tammy Ward says

Welcome back martin and su cant wait to switch you both back on in January

2. Paul says

What doesn’t come across in this report it who Martin and Su are and their local significance.
    Before their show was axed by Heart/Global, Martin and Su had been the Essex Radio (then Heart – most people in Essex still refer to it as Essex Radio) breakfast presenters for nearly 19 years, with Martin presenting the show for 2 years prior to Su’s arrival. This made them the longest serving breakfast show presenters of any radio stations in Europe. As such there weren’t any people in Essex who didn’t recognize the names and their departure made the Heart Breakfast daily listening figures drop by over 100,000 with over 81,000 of those moving to Radio Essex.

Welcome back guys, you’ve been sorely missed by the county.

1. mb23 says

The reach of Heart Essex in Q2 2019 was 333,000, in Q3 2019 it was 329,000. That’s a drop of 4,000.

Radio Essex increased its reach by 32,000 in the quarter.

2. RadioToday UK says

Hi Paul. Thanks for sharing that. We do (wrongly, at times) assume readers of this organ are already familiar with the background of people like Martin and Su – so don’t go into that detail when reporting a new item. It’s like explaining who Alan Shearer is every time a football site writes about it – but we should offer a bit more background sometimes, we agree.

Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂

3. Ian says

Weekday breakfast from January 6. That’s not just good, it’s M&S good.

4. Jill. says

You have no idea how excited and pleased I am to listen to you both again in the coming New Year,
    The Outcry of people in Essex, who were so upset at you going, will now be overjoyed that you are both back on our radio’s to be able to hear local news, weather, school closed to snow, the giggles and laughter, who has done what where when and why.
    The only thing is I’m going to miss the sleeps to Santa song.

I have lived in Essex for 16 years, and I’ve listened to you every day, heard your family’s speak to you, and listened to Su and her new or latest house move, her Daughter and partner, are spoken about all the time.
    Martin with his flying and his family Daughters , wife and Son.

I could go on but we all know you so well.
    I am sure you will both be on air longer than you thought you would be.

Good Luck to you both, I can’t wait to hear those famous voices on my radio and updates with life, what you did in the last 7 months, to getting to your rightful places, Back on the People’s Radio