Iain Dale explains all over LBC schedule move

Following the news that Eddie Mair is to replace Iain Dale on Drive at LBC, Iain has blogged about the moment he was told.

Iain has been hosting the show for over five years but writes about how LBC Managing Editor James Rea had a word. “We need to have an adult conversation,” was the opening line.

When told a new incoming presenter was taking over Drive, Iain said: “I can’t pretend it didn’t come as a bit of a shock. It did. A few days later James told me it would be Eddie Mair who would be replacing me.

“In all honesty, if I’d been James, I’d have made the same decision. Eddie is, in my view, one of the top five names in speech radio. When you get the chance to recruit someone like him you’re a fool if you pass it up. And also, it would be a bit odd if he wasn’t put in the slot where he already has an existing audience, some of which will hopefully follow him. So, I completely get it.”

Iain then explains how he was told he will be staying with the station but moving back to evening, a show he hosted when joining the station in 2010.

He’ll be on-air Monday to Thursday from 7pm as well as launching a new LBC podcast – The Iain Dale Book Club. His last Drive show is later today – Friday 31st August.

Read the blog in full here.

Don't forget, we can send you radio news via email direct to your inbox with a number of options. Just use the form below to register.

Posted on Friday, August 31st, 2018 at 9:26 am by Roy Martin

1. Stephen Hall says

Iain is also one of the top 5 speech broadcasters imo. Wasted on the radio graveyard shift. I hope he’ll be back in daytime before long.

1. Mr Boltar says

Are you serious? The man is audio barbiturate. Good knows what LBC were thinking when they replaced james whale with this utter bore. Still, now its dales turn to get shoved off. Mair certainly cant be any worse.

2. Stuart C says

Who is Eddie Mair? Never heard of him.

3. ciaran says

Ian Dale is a terrific presenter and indeed back to the slot he did superbly before. I hope Clive Bull will be asked to sit in for him when he is away. I know from listening to his last evening show last night that Clive is moving to Sats between 6 and 9pm and continuing his sunday show also.
    As for James Rea saying to Ian Dale “we need to have an adult converstion”, it’s a wonder Ian did’nt walk out of LBC there and then.

4. Dan Dean says

As Iain Dale explains Stuart, he is one of our top broadcasters and a person admired by everyone who is anyone who understands radio. If you listen to Radio Mindless drivel FM then you wont know who is but take Iain’s word on how good he is, and whether you like him or not is a personal thing and everyone has a right to have an opinion on that….but I feel that a one line throwaway comment is an insult, or maybe I read it incorrectly.
    Now will he be accepted by the audience is another thing…LBC is a different ball game to BBC speech radio, Iain Dale has a great way with callers and a warmth which people like and feel comfortable with..even when they disagree with him..they trust him to listen to their point of view and show respect and courtesy in speaking with them,not at them….I will miss him when cooking my evening meal!!!!

5. Pat says

Gutted to hear Iain is leaving drive time. A giant on talk radio, best political commentator by far & wasted on the late shift. I don’t care who comes in, I can’t imagine he’ll meet the bar set by his predecessor. I think LBC may have lost a listener… Iain, thank you & best of luck!

6. Chris says

My LBC listening time is morning and some afternoons up until about 7pm.
    So I will miss Ian Dale. A bonus is Nigel Farage fall into my listen time.

But most mornings I change stations from 10pm to 1am. I can’t stand listening to James O’Brian. It’s about time morning listeners got a better deal. Ian Dale should have got this slot.

1. Dan Dean says

Yes I agree Chris..i personally find James O’Brian patronizing and feel he talks down to me…always wants to impress me with his superior knowledge, pompous !!.
      In respect I do know people who like him ,it is about choice.

7. Raymond says

Can’t stand James o Brien i turn over 10-1 shame Ian can’t have his slot.

8. Jacki says

Would have liked Tom Sawbrick to stay in the morning spot I don’t like Andrew Caatle’s presenting style. Apart from Nick Ferrari or Steve Allen I don’ listen to LBC

9. Debbie Algosaibi says

Sounds like Ian has been stabbed in the back. I have no idea who Eddie is. I’ll miss Ian – he’s great Let’s see if Eddie matches Ian’s wit, eloquence and charm – I’ll reserve judgement. Although I can understand why LBC did it, you do wonder about their treatment of long term loyal employees. Doesn’t really put LBC in a geat light in my opinion.

10. Debbie Algosaibi says

11. Mr Boltar says

12. Craig kissi says

Shame Mr Dale is being pushed back to 7pm, loved listening to his show at drive. He is one of the best in the business. I’ll still tune in at 7pm to listen to him.

13. JASON ANDREW TOPPIN says

IAIN
    WHY DON’T YOU QUIT LBC AND SIGN WOH TALKRADIO YOU WIOL BRYNG ALL KLBC LISTENERS WITH YOU RI TALKRADIO THE MOMENT YOU ISGN WITH TALKRADIO?

14. Ruth Doubtfire says

Not happy about losing Iain Dale at 4oclock. Wish you you get rid of James O’Brien.

15. Dave says

In my humble opinion, Mr. Dale is a more entertaining presenter than Mr Mahr. I would have preferred Iain Dale to at least start at 6:00 pm. The only LBC presenter I have some difficulty listening to is James O’Brien. I much preferred his stand-in from a couple of weeks ago, Tom Swarbrick.