heat radio to be removed from SDL national DAB mux

Bauer is taking heat Radio off national DAB and removing presenters, turning it into an online-only non-stop music station.

In a statement to RadioToday, a Bauer spokesperson confirmed the move and added: “heat radio continues to evolve as part of Bauer Radio’s IP broadcast strategy, which sees the team focus on a number of IP audio brand extensions of the master brand heat radio, to meet the needs of younger audiences which will sit alongside the magazine and heatworld website.

“In addition to broadcasting nationally via IP, the stations will also be available via mobile apps, smart speakers and on Digital TV (Freeview).

“Shows from Emily Segal, Jamie Laing, Josh Cuthbert, Emma Bullimore, Andrea Fox and Chris Younie will end from 1st February. We thank those presenters for their amazing creativity, fun and professionalism which has helped heat Radio get to where it is today – a station loved by its large and loyal audience.”

heat Radio moved from local multiplexes in 2016 when Bauer launched their joint national mux with Arqiva and Wireless. It launched in 2003 and has had various re-launches over the years. At its peak, it had almost a million listeners but in the most recent RAJAR is reported 638,000 weekly listeners.

RadioToday’s take

Simon Mayo has tweeted recently that new radio stations (plural) are being planned, and an announcement is expected within the next week. Putting the two together would suggest Simon Mayo will be joining Bauer and hosting a daily show on one of its new radio stations.

Bauer has also recently reduced bit rates for its radio stations on its local multiplexes, giving the company even more capacity for new services.

It’s sad to see the end of heat Radio as we know it, and we wish all the presenters losing their shows all the best for the future.

Join our WhatsApp messaging service

To receive WhatsApp messages from RadioToday with occasional news headlines and breaking news alerts, send a WhatsApp message starting with 'Yes' to 01612621004.

Then add the number to your phone contacts as 'RadioToday' for this service to work. This is a private list and your number won't be shared with other users or organisations.

1. Tom says

I’d question whether Mayo’s tweet – “whole new radio stations are being planned” – absolutely confirms that multiple stations are going to be launched by Bauer or whoever he’s working for. He might just have been being vague

2. Radio Geordie says

Not particularly surprised as Heat and Hits Radio are aimed at similar audiences.

3. Conor Hand says

I wonder what these two new stations will be. Magic Soul and Kerrang! would be great additions.

1. Michael V says

I was thinking about that. Not my type of music, but those two stations would be great for different audiences. I hope it’s something like that. I feel it’s a bit of a dull line up as it is now!

4. Lee says

This a shame. I really enjoyed the Ryan Seacrest show from Hollywood on weekday evenings. The show was so different to the bland shows on other stations. I hope the show returns to another UK radio station soon.

5. D says

I feel sad for Emily Segal, Jamie Laing, Josh Cuthbert, Emma Bullimore, Andrea Fox and Chris Younie who lose their shows. As an aspiring radio presenter, this does not sit well for the future of radio as we know it.

6. Timothy Ward says

Shame as love Heat. Is the soundtrack to.my Saturday night in my taxi as is the best station for non stop party/dance all night.

7. James Kay says

I suspect Jamie won’t be going hungry!

8. James Kay says

Wasn’t the excellent Alex Duffy on there?

9. mb23 says

It had lost 300k listeners in the last three years (a third of its audience), that’s probably why they pulled it. The public voted with their radios and most of them didn’t like it.

1. adewils says

No, looks to me like 600k stayed that’s more than the 300k who left. Isn’t it?

10. Dave says

Mabe we get Greatist Hits will replace heat on freeview next?

11. Iain says

Having recently converted to DAB I’m gutted to hear that my station of choice is very soon to be no more. Those that say Heat and Hits are almost same are very wrong. Hits radio is why I no longer listen to Beacon or Key 103 ( as was )

12. Michael V says

I feel Heat is pointless anyway. It’s the same type of music as HITS RADIO & The Hits! Two new DAB+ services coming, hope it’s something different from all this pop music.

13. Charlie Reynolds says

You left out Heat Radio’s UK airing of On Air with Ryan Seacrest in this story guys!

14. Radio Geordie says

According to the Frequency Finder website (http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/updates_dig.html), Bauer are rumoured to be launching a Classical music service soon.

15. delakota555 says

“Whilst this move was unexpected, it gives Bauer some multiplex space to launch a new national radio station or two. heat radio uses 80 kbit/s in original DAB, more than enough to provide two DAB+ stations at 32 kbit/s.”

32 kbit/s? Oh great…high quality stream then! This is exactly one of the reasons why listeners have turned to internet radio. I find DAB unlistenable.

Has anybody tried listening to Radio Paradise (radioparadise.com)? It’s a fantastic internet radio station. They even have their own app for mobile devices which allows you to skip tracks and cache the stream so you can take it in your car!

RP is the station I wish we had here in the UK. I had stopped buying music until I started listening to RP. Why not give it a try…