Global to launch Capital XTRA Reloaded across the UK

Capital XTRA is to get its own spin-off station on Monday as Capital XTRA Reloaded goes national on DAB digital radio.

The station will feature former Galaxy, Vibe and Capital presenter Sacha Brooks in the morning slot, from 8am till midday weekdays.

Global says Capital XTRA Reloaded is the ultimate throwback to the nineties and noughties playing old skool hip-hop, grime, garage, dance and RnB anthems from the likes of Usher, Drake, Beyoncé, Destiny’s Child, Sean Paul and Rihanna.

Capital XTRA Reloaded is the third brand new station to be launched by Global this week, following the launch of Heart 90s and Heart 70s, and today’s announcement continues a series of announcements from Global, with two more brand-new stations set to be revealed on Monday.

Al Smith, Deputy Managing Editor of Capital XTRA tells RadioToday: “This is a hugely exciting time for Capital XTRA as we launch a brand new station dedicated to the biggest old skool anthems of all time, playing classic after classic, non-stop, 24/7. It’s the perfect time to expand the Capital XTRA brand as we celebrate record audience figures, with 1.9 million listeners now tuning in every week.”

Join our WhatsApp messaging service

To receive WhatsApp messages from RadioToday with occasional news headlines and breaking news alerts, send a WhatsApp message starting with 'Yes' to 01612621004.

Then add the number to your phone contacts as 'RadioToday' for this service to work. This is a private list and your number won't be shared with other users or organisations.

1. daryl d says

I’m so pleased global have chosen Sacha Brooks to be the face of this new brand. I was fearing Tim Westwood would be making an appearance. I wish good luck to Sacha. What’s next from Global LBC2 – now that would really get me excited

2. Michael says

Wow, have global seen the light!!!
    People have been desperate for old school galaxy style to be back. Now global have seen how successful Kisstory is and now they’re saving $$$ from scrapping local they can invest in something new!

This is actually something good from them in my eyes (name isn’t good though but hey ho)

3. Peter says

another jukebox from global total rubbish again

1. T1 says

At least give it a listen before you offer an opinion.

OK Ashley’s mom.

2. Mark Levy says

I think there is enough Urban and Dance on DAB now to sink a ship!

4. Mr Boltar says

It seems every station is claiming record audience figures these days. Either there’s a sudden upsurge in radio listening from the young or Rajar figures are about as genuine as a 3 quid note.

1. T1 says

Population is increasing so naturally more people to listen.. Also BBC radio 2 has lost a million, BBC local radio combined is losing listeners. Key 103 / Hits radio has lost loads. etc etc.

1. Mr Boltar says

But who are these new listeners? Kids listen to spotify and other streaming services. And when was the last time you heard a car go past with Capital or any other mainstream station blasting out of the radio? You heard it all the time back in the 80s and 90s but now? Never. Its either something off their mobile or a pirate.

1. Rob says

Isn’t it simply people re-tune/flick the dial far more often on a dab. If I did a RAJAR survey I would probably come up as a regular listener to 7 or 8 stations. 5 years ago I would only show up on 2 stations.

2. T1 says

Streaming has replaced the Walkman and cassette taping not all radio!

2. Simon Parton says

The latter!
      Rajar figures are about as reliable as the second coming of Christ. Yet for some daft reason, radio bosses seem to think they are accurate.

3. Lee says

I think the later

5. lee says

Another jukebox with a narrow playlist with one presenter at breakfast. Better to listen to Spotify or similar to hear the music you want without commercials albeit with a small subscription.

Do you think Ashley Tabor would ever take part in a questions and answers session in open public forums as he seems very elusive. I would like to ask him about the state of UK Commercial Radio, and his teams contribution to it.

1. mb23 says

Global’s senior managers have already given evidence to various culture committees.

They are not likely to produce output that people don’t want to listen to. There is potentially a large audience for this, because it’s free and doesn’t require a subscription like Spotify or Apple Music.

Most people hate paying subscriptions if there is a free alternative, and the commercial breaks on Heart 70s are minimal and not intrusive.

6. M says

Not sure why everyone complains – if you think it’s “another jukebox” just don’t listen… there will be plenty that DO listen and I say great job Global and I hope they get good audience figures for their new brand extensions. Soon the Heart Brand will more than likely reach over 10 million listeners a week which will be fantastic to see.
    They are a business, and they are doing very successful commercial radio and there are good people who work there and work hard to make it happen.

7. Chris Pearce says

Isn’t the expansion of the Heart and now Capital Xtra brand overkill?! Enough is enough of an already saturated market of (in some cases) pointless radio stations. Where has the real passion for good quality radio gone

8. Darren Plumpton says

Would someone be kind enough to let me know what was the first song played on the All-New Heart 70’s please.
    I missed the opening by about six or seven minutes.

Thank you very much indeed.

1. mb23 says

Le Freak by Chic.

9. Kennethg Galea says

The varied choice is certainly welcomed, the more stations available the better and the merrier. I heard through the grapevine that there would be a station called Smooth Chill to be launched next week. I hope that the playlist is very different to the well established Smooth radio station. We need more power ballads and soft ones too covering the sixties, seventies and eighties, a station which caters for the 45+. Global please take notice. Thanks.

Varied choice?

10. Diandalscotland says

I think the time has come to say,
    Enough is Enough
    We have duplication and duplication of stations playing the same old drivel. I now have almost 100 stations available to me and most of it is either Pop Pop Pop or Rock Rock Rock. LESS Stations and MORE Variety if that makes sense. And also stupid name Call it CXR. Rant over. Lol

1. mb23 says

Nobody is forcing you to listen to them . You still have Radio 1 & Radio 2 for personality radio.

I think I can see why you like non-personality radio!

11. Dave says

Utterly pointless and a waste of bandwidth. We need national coverage of something different like Chris country and/or country hits