Kaiser Chief’s Ricky Wilson is joining Global to host a new radio show on XFM, according to reports.
The Sun says ‘XFM must be giving the bosses at BBC Radio 1 sleepless nights right now’ as it continues to print news about a revamped XFM launching soon with Chris Moyles at breakfast.
The Voice judge practically confirmed the news, tweeting: “It’s a bit like being on TV but with fewer waistcoats…”
The rumours have been circling since April, when Pop Bitch stated Chris Moyles signed up to the new station to replace Jon Holmes.
And as the weeks and months go on, Global’s continued silence on the matter is only adding to the speculation. RadioToday has once again asked for a comment on the latest reports only to be reminded the company does not comment on rumours.
Here’s what we’ve been told:
- Chris Moyles to start breakfast in September (nothing confirmed on this as yet)
- Chris Moyles to take a networking break in LA (Chris has indeed been in LA, but this could be… you know… a holiday.. or a to attend a wedding or something)
- Vernon Kay to host mid-mornings (no further news on this)
- Ricky Wilson to join for a new show (he tweeted semi-confirmation of this)
Here’s what we know:
- Greg James has said he’s looking forward to hearing Chris back on the radio
- BBC presenter Nicky Chapman recently tweeted Chris Moyles congratulating him on his new job
- Christian O’Connell told RadioToday it is ‘definitely happening’ and he welcomes the competition
- Global has purchased x.co.uk and radiox.co.uk
- Global announced a plan last year to launch new national stations in 2015
Here’s what we’ve discovered:
- Chris Moyles had talks with Bauer and UTV before agreeing to join Global
- Richard Bacon is thought to be joining the daytime schedule (unconfirmed)
- Johnny Vaughan and Kate Lawler are also potential additions
- XFM is being relaunched as X or Radio X sometime between September and January
- The new ‘XFM’ will launch nationally on DAB, subject to Ofcom approval
- A national ‘XFM’ means Manchester and Glasgow XFM stations may be rebranded to avoid duplication
- Using the name ‘Radio X’ would mean confusion for ‘Radio EXE’ in Exeter
- Studios for ‘XFM’ are currently being renovated in Global HQ at Leicester Square ahead of the relaunch
- A TV advert for Chris Moyles has already been recorded
- ‘XFM’ competitors will be Absolute Radio, the new Virgin Radio, and to a degree, Radio 1
- Chris has been more active on social media in the last few months than the last few years (here he is on his latest 3am Periscope today!)