A fire in a ceiling light fitting above the reception desk at Angel Radio has damaged the station’s 3 main studios and its unique library of over 136,000 vintage shellac records.
Station manager, Tony Smith was the only person on site at the Havant studios at the time, he said, “I was working in a back office preparing the weather forecast and events diary when I heard noises in the reception area. I thought it was another member of staff in early, but when the noise continued and got louder I went out to check all was okay and was faced with a pillar of fire from ceiling to floor where a large fluorescent fitting had burst into flames and was pouring flaming molten plastic onto the reception desk and floor. I rang the fire brigade and left the building.”
The road was closed when three fire engines arrived and firemen with breathing apparatus entered the building. The fire was under control in 15 minutes and noxious fumes were pumped out.
The fire caused soot damage to the studios and all of the equipment, there was water damage and unique 78rpm shellac records were smashed and warped. All of the station’s awards were also destroyed.
It’s likely both Angel Radio and its sister station ANGELxtra will be off air for several weeks.