Emma B to replace Angie Greaves on Magic afternoon show

Former Radio 1, Heart and Smooth presenter Emma B is taking over the afternoon slot on Magic next month as Angie Greaves heads to Smooth.

Emma is currently on the weekend schedule on the Bauer station, but will move to weekdays 2-5pm from 1st July.

She told RadioToday: “I am so totally thrilled to be presenting Magic Radio Afternoons. The station has been a dream to work on whether chatting on-air with the listeners, playing out their favourite tracks or getting out and about hosting the stage at the Palace to Palace Bike Ride for the Prince’s Trust and West End Live in Trafalgar Square. I can’t wait to get going on the new show and everything that Magic Radio brings!”

Group Content Director for Magic Radio and Absolute Radio, Tony Moorey says: “After record- breaking RAJAR results on Saturdays, we are so excited to bring Emma to Magic Radio weekdays. In terms of talent, range and just innately understanding how to connect to the audience on their level, there’s nobody better.”

After an early career involving Radio Caroline and BBC Radio Oxford, Emma joined Radio 1 in 1998 to do early breakfast on Saturdays, later moving to Saturday afternoons, overnights and the Sunday Surgery before Saturday breakfast 2001-2003. In 2005 she left for Heart, where she became the first solo female presenter to take the number 1 slot at Drive in London. She did weekend shows for Smooth from 2011 and her career has also seen her broadcast on stations including 6 Music, the BBC World Service, 5 Live and LBC. She moved to work in the charity sector before a return to regular radio with Magic in March 2018.

Emma is replacing Angie Greaves, who was announced last week as the new presenter of the national Smooth Radio drivetime show. Angie says: “I leave knowing that the show is in the very
best of hands. Emma is one of the UK’s best radio broadcasters and I couldn’t be happier to see a show I have loved go to her. To say I’ve had a good time at Magic Radio would be an understatement, and I will miss this great station and the extended family that I’ve worked with over the last 13/14 years. The brand has never had more listeners than it has in the last year and I look forward to seeing it continue to grow.”

Tony Moorey added, “Myself and the Bauer team have so much love for Angie. We wish her all the best for the future, and look forward to giving her a big Golden Square send-off!”

Join our WhatsApp messaging service

To receive WhatsApp messages from RadioToday with occasional news headlines and breaking news alerts, send a WhatsApp message starting with 'Yes' to 01612621004.

Then add the number to your phone contacts as 'RadioToday' for this service to work. This is a private list and your number won't be shared with other users or organisations.

1. Kish says

Who does Emma’s weekend shows?

1. Ted says

Dr Fox

2. Tom Berry says

Emma will sound great on the afternoon show, so I wonder who will cover for Harriet when she’s away because Emma is usually Harriet’s cover and Tom being Ronan’s cover. All Magic have to do now is to replace Ronan Keating with someone competent like Richard – he and Harriet would be a good combination and Magic have trial and tested it because Richard was on with Harriet for breakfast back in February for a week and it was really good. As for Emma’s weekend schedule, I reckon it’ll be between Dan Morrissey, Jim Davis, Paul Hayes or Olly Mann as he used to be a regular weekend cover for magic. Or they might even shift Tom Price to Emma’s slot and put either one of the other four on weekend breakfast.

3. Ron Dobbyn says

With afternoon , and drive radio in the news , as a radio listener since the fifties, my nomination as the greatest afternoon / drive shows I have ever heard , it has to be Roger Scott on Capital, and Randell Lee Rose on Country 1035. They were great shows. Ps The greatest radio soap opera ever is on you tube, Tony Bilbows ” The World of Melanie Parker” ( not the TV version) from ” The Bob, and Doug Breakfast Show ( LBC) it was sponsored by Augustus Barnett , an off licence chain. I had the tee shirt ” Melanie Parker gets me up in the Morning”. Great Radio Memories

4. James Kay says

Didn’t know Emma had been on Caroline! Anyone know more about when, for how long and under what name?!? 🤔

1. Brian Nichols says

Looks like it was on one of the Caroline RSL broadcasts from the Thekla in Bristol, organised by Andy Bradgate/Colin Muesli-Bar

2. Allan Wallace says

James, you appear to be somewhat sceptical regarding Emma’s early career “involving” Radio Caroline! I wonder why.

5. Gail Rowe says

Magic won’t be the same without Angie 😭 it hasn’t been the same since they had a reshuffle, then they axed Mel Andy on a Saturday afternoon 😭😭 Don’t make me go back to smooth!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭